Friday, March 13, 2009

facebook friends


OK, I'm probably showing my age here, but since facebook is the cool social networking site now, I need to know what is the status quo?

First off, I love catching up and keeping up with friends I normally wouldn't. Being geographically separated from a ton of family and friends, I find the site amazing.

But how do YOU think everyone should use it?

Do you friend EVERYONE you've ever met? Personally, I'm kinda picky with friending. Sorry, but if I didn't ever talk to you in the 4 years of high school we shared, I'm probably not interested in catching up with you now. But if we chatted and had fun at the reunion, we're cool.

If we share a few friends, but I don't know you and the chance we'll ever hang out in real life is minimal, sorry but you're going to sit in my friends purgatory box forever. I am too chicken to DENY your friendship (that's so cold!) but I'm not accepting you either. Better luck next time.

To me, I don't care if I'm not winning any popularity contests (yea...like that was even an option, huh?) I'll just have as many friends as I do, thankyouverymuch.

One of my favorite things is going through my friends' friends. I like to try to figure out their relationships (and I'm secretly judging them. Cruel, huh?) Plus, I usually find a few people I know and it gives me ideas on who I'm missing from my list.

And although I've been known to google old boyfriends (see post from a while back) I wouldn't seek them out on facebook, that shows weakness, right?


BTW, don't send me anything. I don't have time to return your peeps, green beer, movie compatibly requests, and I have no idea what a 'lil green patch even is. Sorry, but I'm just not into that, please don't make me feel guilty about it.

As for the "what are you doing right now" window...I'm torn. I don't take myself too seriously in real life, so why do so in cyber-space? I try to be witty and succinct while not writing too often. I don't want to clutter up everyone's inbox with "Laura is tired;" "Laura is bored while waiting to pick up DD from preschool;" or "Laura thinks eating less and exercising more sucks."

Moving on to pictures. How do you handle them? I just replaced my outdated profile pic because the baby I had on my lap is now ready for kindergarten! Most women have pics of their kids, does it make me vain if I just have me on there? Honestly, I just didn't feel like spending time digging through digital pics to find the perfect one so I snapped a quick webcam photo. I don't want to look like a slob but I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to hard either. UGH.

Speaking of photos, how do you manage kids pics? I don't like to even use my kids names online much less their photos. Am I doing the right thing? Too much responsibility!

And to think our kids will never know what it was like before social networking.

Got to go and see if anyone else wants to be my friend! Please leave your input below...I'd like to know what you think (or else just facebook me!) Thanx.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I definitely abuse the facebook status update - somehow, I think people want to know what I'm cooking on a Sunday or what I'm doing on a Saturday night. It seems a little odd when I examine it, but I do have people approaching me at work asking how [insert meal here] was. I will spare you the details of my profile pic self-debate... Finally, Karen said 'you're really overthinking this' and I had to put the FaceBook down for the night.

I do accept all friends who ask me (if I remember who they are) and have already had dinner with friends from grade school, with plans for grade school- and high school reunions in the next few months. I find it very interesting to see how much (or how little) people let you in on their daily lives. PG-rated online exhibitionism and voyeurism seem pretty popular now. If only I had thought of this multi-million dollar idea before they did...