Friday, January 18, 2008

Thursdays

So I've been taking Thursdays off to spend more time with the kids, only to find myself cleaning all morning and ignoring my daughter who was begging me to read her a story. When I finally bothered to listen to her, I almost cried. What kind of mom am I? I sat down and immediately read a dozen books with both girls and had a great time doing so. So often, I feel like I'm spending so much time spreading my time around and multi-tasking (cooking, cleaning, shopping, laundry, kids) that nothing gets my full attention. It was nice to just take time out and veg with them. I think my husband is better at this. I mostly fault him for it ("exactly why can't you run the dishwasher while playing cash register?") but I secretly wish I could turn a blind eye (nose, ear, whatever) to everything that SHOULD get done and just bask in kid-dom with the girls. Yea, I think that would happen for about 15 minutes before I went crazy.

Switching subjects...OK...I need your help. Can anyone calm my irrational fear? My daughter goes to preschool 2 days for a TOTAL of 5 hours a week. But I'm paranoid I'm going to forget to pick her up one day. Every time the phone rings on Thursday afternoon I panic and think it's gotten late and her teacher has been waiting there with my girl who is all alone and frightened and I've just been enjoying the peace and distraction-free afternoon (in my mind I'm eating bon-bons even though I don't think I've ever ate a bon-bon in my life). I must reiterate that I've never forgotten to pick her up (yet), but it is my nightmare. Maybe it's because I don't wear a watch, or maybe because I have forgotten what silence sounds like at home but I can't seem to be able to keep track of time while she's gone, I'm constantly checking the clock...it's becoming compulsive, and annoying! Anyone with me on this one? HELP?!

Coming up next...what happened during my 'free' time yesterday that had me singing.

No comments: