Monday, January 07, 2008

I want quality time, damn it!

OK, so anymore the weekends are made up of me getting things done while my children make do. How wrong is that? Why is it every Sunday night I feel like I haven't spent any real time with my kids? Let me count the ways:

If they want food and diapers someone needs to shop for them.
If they want to wear clothes, I have to wash and put away laundry.
If they want time with friends, someone needs to cart them around, or plan and provide for get togethers. We haven't even gotten to sports-age yet!
If I want our house to look nice (or even presentable), I have to clean.
If they want to know their extended family, we need to be away from home.
If they want to be well behaved, they need to nap.
If I want sanity, I need some time alone.

Where do all the hours go? I'm worried that someday my kids will look back to weekends at our house and not remember anything. Or worse, just remember the answer to "do you want to play with me?" was always, "not right now, mommy has things to do." I am the devil who no longer has time to brush a pony's hair or finger paint. In the next year, I have to make sure that quality time with my kids is a priority. It just makes me sad that I had to write that.

Do they grow up so fast or do we just lose track of time?

No comments: