Sunday, April 05, 2009

Some things I learned in Spain

I don't know how I'll ever find the time to describe my trip in detail, but here are some things I learned in Spain.

1. My husband is one of those people who believes louder volume is the key to having people understand your language. He actually said "SPEEEEAK ENGLISH!" to the hotel maids. Duh dude, you usually can't find a hotel maid that speaks English in the states, so good luck. On a related note, when there is a light switch panel controlling the whole room's lights and one of the buttons says "make-up room" and you keep hitting it thinking they are talking about the exterior bathroom light -you are wrong. It will keep telling the maids you want you room cleaned so be nice to them when they show up.


2. Americans are dumb. I met a 50 year-old woman who stated "I just LOVE that word hola. I'm going to keep using it even at home. I don't know how to spell it, but I love it." The kicker: she was from Texas. She also leaned over and asked me what "majestic" meant...and she was dead serious.


3. (Related to #2) Brussels is in Belgium. My bad, I thought we were going to connect in Germany. My geography is so bad that sitting in the Brussels airport we played "what country are they going to" while reading the destinations cities. I think I got 2 right...including Barcelona.

4. You think contractors in the states are bad? There is a church in Barcelona that is still being built, 126 years later...with AT LEAST 20 years to go. BTW even though you would think the artist Gaudi and the english word gawdy are related after looking at his work, they are not. He was however a big fan of the shrooms.



5. If there is an annoying couple on the airplane (we called them Drunk Guy and Drunk Girl because we're creative like that) they will be following you to your destination city, and if you're lucky they will be at the same conference so you will have to endure them for many more hours to come, enjoy.


No comments: