Saturday, March 21, 2020

End of Days...(Pre-end)



So let's just throw this out there...I'm gonna go take a nap during a zombie apocalypse.  My wait-and-see attitude has got me on the fast track to nowheresville.  I'm OK with that.  Every summer, I joke to my coworkers that I will see them in the fall...unless I've written that book...and I've NEVER written that book.  My default is on the lazy side.  I commend all you job-a-day-ers.  The ones with clean tupperware drawers and closets.  That's not me.  I'm saving all my work for a rainy day.  Now we have mandatory shut-in time and I'm all like...well technically, spring break is not over so....

Let's talk Spring Break...shall we?  I started mine a day early (last Friday the 13th...should have seen THAT coming, huh?)  My husband is a risk-taker and despite the Corona scare---we were still going on a cruise...with the kids.  Since we couldn't get our money back, I was OK with that thinking that the chance of them not cancelling was slim.   He called the cruise line earlier in the week and they said it was still a full boat, extra cleaning measures were being taken...it was all good.  (**They are now being sued by shareholders for flat out lying, but we didn't know that yet.  Except we totally knew that, right?!)  We took off from home at 4am Friday, drove to Chicago then flew to Miami.  We got into Miami just in time to hear rumors that our cruise was about to be cancelled.

Chad pointing to the actual ship we could not get on due to Covid-19.
We scrambled to the hotel kinda shell-shocked.  If it was up to me, I would have grabbed our bags and headed right back home.  But my husband had better sense.  We grabbed our bags, an uber and headed to the hotel near enough to the port that we still saw a cruise ship leave Friday at 4pm.  Our company we heard was classy enough to board the Friday passengers, then KICK them OFF before announcing the cancellation of all their cruises.

Miami was a beautiful disaster.  We were up to our eyeballs in rumor and speculation.  Was our cruise really cancelled?  We called...they were having a meeting at 5pm and then they'd get back to us.  In the mean time, we looked for another place.  I wanted to stay in the US because who knows what was happening and I was not getting stuck in Mexico or somewhere else.  Chad had always wanted to go to the Keys and his brother was in Ft Myers FL on vacation.  Checked the weather...Ft. Myers it was. Rented a place, talked about renting a car, we were moving and grooving and figuring things out.  Then I went to dinner...and drank.
When life gives you lemons...order a hurricane!

Our view of Miami from the hotel room.

That morning we rented a car.  Funny thing about a rental place, they can rent you a car, then when you get there they can have no cars and they are just like..🤷shrug?!  Guess you'll have to try someone else.  This happened to Chad 4 times.  Finally we ubered back to the airport and sat in line there waiting for a car.  We learned many things.  No flights out of Miami had any room.  When you cancel a bunch of cruises and thousands of people have to get home, it's kinda tricky getting all those people home again.  Also, when there are no cars...you might get one that smells like pee and not even care...that much.

The good news was from American Airlines.  They were so kind and flights out of Ft Meyers were $36 per person.  American Airlines were the only full service customer service we received from all this clusterfudge.  I'll go on record, the lady I got was a saint.

The good news...we found an opening at a condo in ft Myers for Sunday.  The bad news...it was Saturday and the worse news---we'd need to---gulp---bring our own toilet paper!  More tomorrow.    


No comments: